A group of Tuttleville residents, led by John Tuttle, a son of James and Rebecca Tuttle, petitioned the Town of Hingham for land to build an evangelical chapel at the corner of Ward and High Streets. The chapel, which also functioned as a community center, dance hall and school, was called the Free Christian Mission. According to Hingham Historical Society records, official membership in 1890 was 80. This new gathering space was needed because the community was getting too large for the barn on the Tuttle’s property and the walk to downtown Hingham to attend a church there was less feasible. Today, the site of the church is home to a dentist office.
[Drawing: Bouve, et al., History of the Town of Hingham (1893) Photograph and source: Hingham Historical Society]
Please click on any image below to view larger with captions.