July-8,-1924-Flaming-CrossOn July 8, 1924, the Boston Globe reported a flaming cross on Beal Street in Hingham. According to the article, police believed that members of the Ku Klux Klan had something to do with the incident.

From 1927-1927, according to Not All is Changed, the Hingham Journal also reported four “fiery” crosses: one behind Lovell’s greenhouse (this is very likely the Beal Street cross reported in the Globe), one at the back of Linscott Road, one in the Damstra meadow, and one atop Otis Hill.