The South Shore Citizens Club is co-founded by Hingham residents Marion “Mother” (Lindsey) Teague and her father, Herbert Lindsey on February 24, 1942 (the organization was incorporated May 12, 1961). Throughout the years, the SSCC planned and executed many different kinds of events, including dances, annual breakfasts and buffets, teas and fundraisers. According to records, they also raised scholarship money for “minority” students on the South Shore.
After the Recreation Department asked Herbert Lindsey to create social events for black soldiers from the area, including those stationed in South Boston, dances were held at the barn on his property at 105 Ward Street. In addition to the soldiers, Black citizens from across the South Shore traveled to this central location for many social gatherings and dances. Many met their spouses at these barn dances.
[Sources: Edwin Fredie email to Joe Collymore, Marion Lindsey, Joyce Barber, Not All is Changed p. 357, 395]
[Images courtesy of Joyce Barber]
Click on any image to enlarge and view caption.